- From BSE to oil spills: politicians and media stunts
Drinking a glass of water from Fukushima power plant is not the first – and is unlikely to be the last – in a string of such political stunts over the years, many of which failed to have happy endings.
Yasuhiro Sonoda appeared to be following in the footsteps of Japan’s former prime minister Naoto Kan and his then-chief government spokesman Yukio Edano with his water drinking antics.
Earlier this year, as public concerns surrounding food contamination safety reached fever pitch in Japan, Mr Kan and Mr Edano both made a point of publicly eating food produced in Fukushima, home to the power plant.
Most viewed November
- Cesium-137 deposition and contamination of Japanese soils due to the Fukushima MAPS
- EURDEP shows I-131, I-132, CS - 137, CS 134, CO 60 detected in Slovenia
- RADIOACTIVE EUROPE - what's going on?
- Iodine-131 now detected in Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary… other European countries
- Russia To Discuss Missile Shield With Iran, China
- Radioactivity in Slovenia - mistery solved
- New Japan contamination map shows Cesium-137 deposited over 900 km from Fukushima… Extends west of Hiroshima (PHOTO)
- #Radiation in Japan: 60,000 Bq/kg Cesium in Riverbed Soil in Fukushima
- European Radiation Leak Update Nov 13, 2011
- Radioactive cesium spread as far as Gunma-Nagano border