- France opposition in first push to reduce nuclear power
France's long-held support for nuclear energy emerged as a key issue in next year's elections Wednesday as the opposition Socialists and Greens agreed to joint efforts to reduce reliance on atomic power.
The deal marks the first significant move toward limiting nuclear power in France since it embraced atomic energy after the oil shocks of the 1970s and comes amid growing disquiet here after Japan's Fukushima atomic disaster in March.
Green party leader Cecile Duflot hailed the opposition deal as a revolution in French thinking on nuclear energy.
"This was a real break with the past and will, in the case of a victory for the left and environmentalists, mark a change in France's energy policy," Duflot, the national secretary of the Europe Ecologie-Les Verts (EELV) party, said on Canal Plus television.
In France 70% support gradual shutdown of nukes. The people are not stupid, only government shills are.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most viewed November
- Cesium-137 deposition and contamination of Japanese soils due to the Fukushima MAPS
- EURDEP shows I-131, I-132, CS - 137, CS 134, CO 60 detected in Slovenia
- RADIOACTIVE EUROPE - what's going on?
- Iodine-131 now detected in Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary… other European countries
- Russia To Discuss Missile Shield With Iran, China
- Radioactivity in Slovenia - mistery solved
- New Japan contamination map shows Cesium-137 deposited over 900 km from Fukushima… Extends west of Hiroshima (PHOTO)
- #Radiation in Japan: 60,000 Bq/kg Cesium in Riverbed Soil in Fukushima
- European Radiation Leak Update Nov 13, 2011
- Radioactive cesium spread as far as Gunma-Nagano border