- Japan nuclear meltdown ?maybe worse than thought?
TOKYO — Molten nuclear fuel at Japan's Fukushima plant might have eaten two thirds of the way through a concrete containment base, its operator said, citing a new simulation of the extent of the March disaster.
Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) said their latest calculations showed the fuel inside the No. 1 reactor at the tsunami-hit plant could have melted entirely, dropping through its inner casing and eroding a concrete base.
In the worst-case scenario, the molten fuel could have reached as far as 65 centimetres (2 feet) through the concrete, leaving it only 37 centimetres short of the outer steel casing, the report, released Wednesday, said.
Until now, TEPCO had said some fuel melted through the inner pressure vessel and dropped to the containment vessel, without saying how much and what it did to the concrete, citing a lack of data.
"Almost no fuel remains at its original position," TEPCO said in the report.
Source: AFP via WRH
Most viewed December
- Japan, IAEA discussing large amount of unaccounted-for nuke materials
- Over 462 trillion becquerels Fukushima strontium in Pacific Ocean, Seafood risk
- Fukushima Medical Catastrophe - Helen Caldicott- Thom Hartmann - RT
- Medical Journal Article: 14,000 U.S. Deaths Tied to Fukushima Reactor Disaster Fallout
- Radiation Poisoning Airborne Radiation Spread (part 1 of 2)
- Fukushima Earthquake Moved Seafloor Half a Football Field
- Fukushima 45 ton radioactive water leak poisons ocean
- Hartmann: Fukushima...Has the China Syndrome now officially begun?
- Surviving Japan - A documentary FULL Preview 生き残り日本 災害 ドキュメンタリー
- Chris Busby: Cyclop child and the cause of congenital anomaly and cancer in Iraq
- TBS/JNN Fukushima Live web camera
- New Containment Flaw Identified in the BWR Mark 1
- TEPCO has paid 229.2 billion yen in damages for nuclear crisis
- NRC Approves First New U.S. Nuclear Reactors in 30 Years … Fatal Flaws In Fukushima Design NOT Fixed
- #Fukushima I Nuke Plant Reactor 2 RPV Temperature Remains Near 70 Degrees Celsius Despite Increased Water Injection
- [Part 1-1] Nuke Plants and Radiation Seen through the Eyes of Children (Jan. 2012)
- For The First Time In Over 30 Years U.S. To Build New Nuclear Power Plant
- The US: Beyond Stupidity - NRC Grants License to Two New Vogtle NPP AP1000 Reactors!
- Fukushima No. 2 plant was 'near meltdown'
- Enough Signatures Collected to Seek Nuclear Vote in Tokyo: Group