Fukushima timeline | Radioactive news December 2011
- Japanese Childbirths Hit Postwar Low in 2011
Tokyo, Jan. 1 (Jiji Press)--The number of Japanese babies born in the country during 2011 hit a post-World War II low of 1,057,000, according to welfare ministry estimates released Saturday.
The annual total of deaths came to a record high of 1,261,000, resulting in a net population decrease of 204,000, the first-ever annual loss of more than 200,000.
The net population fall surpassed 100,000 for the first time in the postwar period only in 2011, totaling 125,708.
- Japan's future could be in mums' hands
TOKYO - Public dismay with the Japanese government's response to this year's triple disaster - earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown - is driving some to become more politically engaged, helped by social and alternative media.
While still fledgling, it is the kind of grassroots activism that some say Japan needs to shake up a political system that has allowed the country's problems to fester for years.
decades, not years. Since 1973 by my opinion, when nuclear energy became "national strategic priority".
- EXPLOSIVE FIND: RADIATION IS NOT SAFE 4 ANYONE!!!
All the credit and Big thank You Go to GoddardsJournal
ORIGINAL Upload GoddardsJournal on Dec 11, 2011
Please check out this channel and Sub
- Fuelling World Hunger: How The Global Biofuel Industry Is Creating Massive Destruction
The global expansion of the biofuel industry – in which agricultural land and crops are used to produce fuel for transport vehicles rather than food for humans – is a major factor driving the dramatic escalation of food prices worldwide.
In a new book, Massive Destruction , French author Jean Ziegler  shows how the biofuel industry and wider agroindustry are threatening to inflict hunger on the world on an unprecedented scale. This is no blind accident, says Ziegler. It is the deliberate result of policies implemented by governments beholden to powerful agribusiness corporations in their pursuit of private profit. In that way, the resultant increasing levels of world hunger can be described as a form of “calculated murder”.
Ironically, the biofuel industry is being promoted by corporations and governments as a sustainable, “ecofriendly” alternative to fossil fuels. In reality, it is just another form of the same reckless exploitation of resources that results from insatiable elite private profit under capitalist economic production. The biofuel industry stems from a marriage of agribusiness and oil corporations who know full well that this new global enterprise is inflicting massive environmental destruction and human suffering.
Over the past five years, the world has witnessed skyrocketing food prices, which is putting millions more people at risk of hunger – all because they simply can no longer afford to buy food. This is a shocking indictment of an economic system that puts the imperative of private profit above the daily survival of human beings. Chief among the factors causing this inflation in food prices is the stellar rise of the global biofuel industry. So how can such a destructive industry continue to be promoted in the face of its own consequent human suffering? The short answer is because the public is largely unaware of the political and economic practicalities.
The problem are not biofuels. Biofuels (alchohol, oils...) were around for ages before the term was invented. The problem are profit driven corporations. India has a couple of 5MW thermo power plants burning waste rice husks. Cuba is burning sugar cane waste. That is not damaging to food production. Planting sugar canes with sole intention to produce biofuels as corporations do, now that is a crime and should be banned.
Also worth noting is that desertification is a process long in the making and can be attributed to general agriculture and not solely to biofuels production. Biofuels in combination with farming based on permacultural principles could offer a passing solution, that is still much more acceptable than oil drilling.
- Alex Jones: Chernobyl compared to Japan's Fukushima disaster
- Man makes monster-sized discovery of potatoes like giant hands
JOYO, Kyoto -- A man digging up potatoes in his garden recently was rewarded with the discovery of two tubers that looked like monster-sized hands.
The potatoes measure 84 and 74 centimeters long, and weigh 1.5 and 1 kilogram, respectively.
someone will soon find the coresponding pair of legs.
- Nuclear safety panel given donations
Almost one-third of commissioners and examiners at Japan's nuclear safety commission received donations from the country's nuclear power industry, the Asahi Shimbun reported on Sunday...
... Two of the organisation's five permanent commissioners and 22 of its 84 outside examiners received donations from companies and industrial organisations related to nuclear power, in five years to March 2011, Asahi said.
- Japan's population decreasing at fastest postwar rate
TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japan's population decreased in 2011 at the fastest pace in the postwar era with the decline, calculated by deducting the number of deaths from that of births, coming to an estimated 204,000, health ministry estimates showed Saturday.
The decrease was over 1.5 times higher than the revised figure of about 125,000 the year before and was the biggest since comparable data became available in 1947, the survey said. It was the fifth straight annual decline since 2007.
80.000 unexpected deaths? I would say that is "statistically significant".
- Paint-on solar cells? How your house's next coat of paint could become a power generator
Prashant Kamat, John A. Zahm Professor of Science in Chemistry and Biochemistry and an investigator in Notre Dame's Center for Nano Science and Technology (NDnano), and his team successfully developed a water and alcohol based paint compound they say could change the future of home energy generation. The paint contains electricity-generating titanium dioxide particles coated in either cadmium sulfide or cadmium selenide. When this solution is applied onto a conductive, transparent surface, it generates electricity.
"By incorporating power-producing nanoparticles, called quantum dots, into a spreadable compound, we've made a one-coat solar paint that can be applied to any conductive surface without special equipment," said Kamat about the paint, which he and his team have dubbed "Sun-Believable." "If we can improve the efficiency somewhat, we may be able to make a real difference in meeting energy needs in the future."
add some nano carbon to the paint? and LOL @ Sun-Believable :) great name.
- Iran says it's produced first nuclear fuel rod
TEHRAN, Iran — Iran says its scientists have produced the nation's first nuclear fuel rod, a feat of engineering the West doubted Tehran was capable of.
Sunday's announcement comes after Iran has said it was compelled to manufacture fuel rods on its own since international sanctions banned Tehran from buying them on foreign markets.
Nuclear fuel rods contain pellets of enriched uranium that provide fuel for nuclear power plants.
- Magnitude 7.0 earthquake jolts Japan, no tsunami warning
SINGAPORE: A strong earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 jolted eastern and northeastern Japan on Sunday, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damages and no tsunami warning was issued.
The earthquake measured 4 in central Tokyo, Fukushima and their surrounding areas on the Japanese intensity scale, which measures ground motion, according to Japan Meteorological Agency, which uses a different measuring system than the the US Geological Survey.
Page 20 of 20
Most viewed January
- Antinuclear conference urges the need to phase out nuclear power
- Antinuclear conference calls for full support of victims in Fukushima
- Fukushima Day 308 - USA,Canada & Europe Radiation FALLOUT FORECAST + HAZMAT levels in USA
- New Study: Aerosolized plutonium from Fukushima detected in Europe — Spent fuel indicated
- Designated nuclear inspection body has board members from nuclear industry
- What if Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) (E-CAT "cold fusion") really works? 2 PDF
- Japan N-Reactor Data Collection System Breaks Down
- Survive Fukushima Radiation - Zeolite
- Another Japanese nuclear reactor to be halted
- "Houston, we have a problem!" (Yugoslavian space program) trailer
- TBS/JNN Fukushima Live web camera
- New Containment Flaw Identified in the BWR Mark 1
- TEPCO has paid 229.2 billion yen in damages for nuclear crisis
- NRC Approves First New U.S. Nuclear Reactors in 30 Years … Fatal Flaws In Fukushima Design NOT Fixed
- #Fukushima I Nuke Plant Reactor 2 RPV Temperature Remains Near 70 Degrees Celsius Despite Increased Water Injection
- [Part 1-1] Nuke Plants and Radiation Seen through the Eyes of Children (Jan. 2012)
- For The First Time In Over 30 Years U.S. To Build New Nuclear Power Plant
- The US: Beyond Stupidity - NRC Grants License to Two New Vogtle NPP AP1000 Reactors!
- Fukushima No. 2 plant was 'near meltdown'
- Enough Signatures Collected to Seek Nuclear Vote in Tokyo: Group